Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A worm bin like no other!

For those who are not into vermicomposting (composting with worms) this will not be very exciting, but for my husband and me, it is! Yesterday we completed our first real collaboration project, and we didn't kill each other! My husband is just starting a vermicomposting business called Green Mountain Soil (http://www.greenmountainsoil.com/).

A few weeks ago he was asked by the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center to donate some worms and possibly a bin for their composting exhibit. Well, he went and met with them and knew it would be a great opportunity to make a fun bin for them and so he set off on a mission. I agreed to paint it for him. ECHO stands for Ecology, Culture, History and Opportunity. It's a great museum if you are ever visiting Vermont, please check it out!

Today he delivered them bin and the staff loved it. They will be keeping it in their staff dining area so they can actually use it, then wheeling it out (it is on casters) for special presentations. My husband will probably come in at some point to give a presentation on vermicomposting. I'm really proud of him!

You can see a few pictures of the bin. We hope to come up with a lighter weight design that can be shipped flat, for those who might be in the market for a special worm bin. We want to work with schools and other science centers to help get the word out about the importance of vermicomposting! So, please contact us and we'll do our best to give you a special rate. You can find more information on custom bins, what vermicomposting is all about and more photos on my etsy shop at http://www.littledickensdesigns.etsy.com/.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Barbra said...

Very cool...disgusting, but cool!!!

Little Dickens Designs said...

I know it grosses some people out, but really, it's such a cool process.

Brownies Vintage said...

Nice! Thats way better than my worm bin :)

P.S. Original said...

Interesting blog and great looking project!

BeadedTail said...

I hadn't heard of vermicomposting before. I learned something new today!

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

How cool is that? I am just learning a bit about vermicomposting. I'd like to try my hand at it one day soon.

Unknown said...

wow that is so cool! i should give it a go too there is lot's of worms around here

Crafty Mama said...

Now that is a worm bin I wouldn't mind having on my back porch!